Council issues advice for pubs, restaurants and cafes regarding takeaway food and drink

Mon, 23 Mar 2020

Although the Government has told pubs, restaurants and cafes to close because of the coronavirus, many are still allowed to sell takeaway food and drink.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council's licensing team is issuing advice to licensed premises about what they can and cannot do during the present time.

Last Friday (20 March) the Government told pubs, restaurants and cafes to close in order to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 in places where people mix together.

Therefore all these premises should have closed their normal day-to-day trading activities at this time.

However the premises have been given permissions to open for the purpose of providing a takeaway service. Therefore:

  • A premises that is licensed to sell alcohol for off sales - which is alcohol being provided to customers in a sealed units for consumption away from the premises - can continue to offer this facility for collection from the premises or by delivery service.
  • A premises that is food registered can offer a takeaway service, providing hot and cold food for consumption away from the premises between 5am and 11pm each day, unless their licence permits longer hours.

Louise Wilson, licensing manager at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: "Many premises have made the decision to do this, to aid them getting through this difficult time and to offer services to local communities to assist people in self-isolation.

"Premises that are offering a takeaway provision should be open for that purpose only.

"The purpose of such orders is to ensure social distancing is followed, we would encourage people to support local business during this time."

Residents using takeaway facilities are asked to please consider the following advice:

  • If you need to queue to purchase your takeaway, ensure you keep two metres from the next customer in the queue.
  • Avoid touching surfaces if possible, ensure you clean your hands thoroughly after collection/delivery before consuming the food/drink.
  • Pay by telephone if possible, reduce the time spent at the premises for collection.
  • Ask for a delivery collection time if possible, to avoid waiting in numbers.
  • If you food is not ready on arrival, leave a telephone number and wait in your vehicle or in a nearby open area, avoiding close contact to other customers and assisting the premises to keep their staff safe also.

The Government has issued further powers to allow authorised officers of the council to shut down premises who are not wilfully compiling with the Government instructions to close for public use.

Louise Wilson said: "The resources of the local authority are stretched, however our officers will endeavour to action those matters of non-compliance, and continue to support licensed businesses through this very difficult time."

If anyone information about a premises that is opening to allow food and drink to be consumed within the pub, café or restaurant, then please report these to the council using this email address: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.