A planning application has been submitted to the Council to construct an extension to the existing West Newton A wellsite, test, appraise and produce from the two existing wells and drill, test, appraise and produce from up to six (6) new wells followed by decommissioning and wellsite restoration, at West Newton A wellsite, West Newton, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Rathlin Energy (UK) Limited
Planning application reference number
The West Newton A wellsite is located to the north of West Newton and east of Marton. It is located within the Parish of Aldbrough at National Grid Reference TA 192 391 (Easting 519276 and Northing 439162). The wellsite is approximately 13m Above Ordnance Datum (AOD). The wellsite is currently authorised for temporary exploration and testing of hydrocarbons under planning permissions ref 12/04193/STPLF, 13/30064/CONDET, 15/03056/STVAR and 18/02924/CM. West Newton is 1,130m to the southwest and Marton is 800m to the west.
The planning application is to construct an extension to the existing West Newton A wellsite, test, appraise and produce from the two existing wells and drill, test, appraise and produce from up to six (6) new wells followed by decommissioning and wellsite restoration. This is an application for conventional oil and gas operations and does not involve the extraction of shale gas (known as fracking).
The planning application includes information on the following topic areas:-
- Planning policy.
- Hydrocarbon regulation.
- Air quality.
- Flood risk.
- Landscape and visual impact.
The development would consist of nine principal phases:
- Appraisal Testing and Workover of Existing Wells.
- Wellsite Extension Construction.
- Well treatment and Clean up.
- Well Appraisal Testing.
- Process Facility.
- Well Workovers, Routine Maintenance and Repairs.
- Well and Production Facility Decommissioning.
- Restoration and Aftercare.
The oil and gas industry is subject to strict regulations with many review processes and permissions required before any operations can commence. Obtaining planning permission is an important requirement for the applicant but consent from other organisations who have a responsibility to regulate any hydrocarbon operations also need to be sought, including:-
- Health and Safety Executive - responsible for advising employers and workers on health and safety, ensuring compliance with on-site health and safety, including the design and safety of the proposed well boreholes.
- Oil and Gas Authority (OGA) - responsible for issuing landward production licenses (Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDL)) for exploration. Consent of the OGA is also required to undertake well operations via a Petroleum Operations Notice approval process.
- Environment Agency - responsible for emissions to air, land and water arising from the proposed operation.
A development summary can be found in the Design and Access Statement which can be viewed below:
West Newton A - Supporting Document: Design and access statement (pdf 1mb)
Site Location Plan
West Newton A - Location Plan (pdf 100kb)
Make comments on this planning application
If you would like to see more information on this planning application and would like to make comments, please visit our Public Access website using the planning reference number 21/02464/STFUL