COVID-19 Service Information

Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, there will continue to be a little disruption to the day-to-day service provision. Public safety remains the priority and the building control team is working remotely with full access to phones, email and documents to provide a building control service.

Contact the team in the usual way on (01482) 393800 or by email at:


Building regulations applications are still being checked in the usual way and the team continues to offer a reduced site inspection service, so that social distancing rules can be safely observed.

New building control applications should be submitted online at Building Control Services.

Thank you for your understanding.

How our Building Control Services can help you

Doing the work yourself?

If you know your building works need to comply with building regulations, and you're organising the work yourself, this work must be inspected at various stages. We can help you with this process.

We will:

Work with you from start to finish

When you are ready to start work we will agree an inspection service plan before you start. This outlines the stages of work that require inspection. It will vary depending on the size and complexity of your project, age of your home, the construction type, ground conditions and your builder's experience.

Visit you on site

Your inspection service plan will tell you at which points during construction we need to come and visit you on site. With offices in Beverley, Bridlington and Goole our customers benefit from our extensive local knowledge, such as ground conditions and site history, allowing us to offer a fast response time to site inspections.

Offer value for money

We are a not-for-profit service, and unlike private companies, our charges only cover our costs. Our sole aim is to provide our customers with a high quality, independent service.

Give free and friendly advice

In-depth local knowledge, including pre-application advice to help you submit your application correctly the first time, saving you time and money.

Provide 24-hour application submission

Submit your application any time of the day using one of our online application forms.

Give you peace of mind

Once the work has been completed to our satisfaction, we will issue you with a completion certificate to show all the work is up to standard.

Offer the highest quality service

We work with the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) which represents all local authority building control services in England and Wales. We're part of a network of over 3,500 professionals who care about the long-term safety and performance of buildings in your community. We are also ISO 9001:2015 Quality Assurance certificated, providing a consistent high-quality service to our customers.

Find out if building regulations apply

Take a look at the types of work that will require building regulations approval, and those which are exempt:

New buildings
  • All new buildings
  • All extensions
  • Non-exempt conservatories and porches
  • Roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • Basements and basement extensions.
  • All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • All garage conversions
  • Barn conversions
  • Subdividing a house into flats
  • Converting flats back into a house.
  • Creating a 'granny annex'
  • Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
  • Installing a new kitchen if electrical or drainage works are included
  • Taking out a loadbearing wall - you need to ask a structural engineer to confirm that your wall isn't supporting the walls, floors or roof above it
  • Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing
  • Making windows or doors wider or taller
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
  • Replacing or insulating your floor, wall or roof
  • Installing roof lights.
Heating, plumbing and electrical systems

You will not need to submit an application to us if you use a member of the 'Competent Persons Scheme', which is a way for tradespeople to prove their ability to carry out certain work to required standards, instead of you applying for building regulations approval.

  • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
  • Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower replacement window and door units

Read about and find a member of the Competent Persons Scheme on the GOV.UK website.


The following buildings and extensions may be erected without submitting a building regulation application although you may still require planning permission.

A detached single storey building

Such as a garage or shed, which:

  • contains no sleeping accommodation
  • is no larger than 30m2 in floor area
  • is at least 1m from the boundary of the site if it is built from combustible materials, such as timber timber
  • if it is less than 1m from the boundary it is built of substantially non-combustible material, such as bricks, blocks and a tiled roof
  • complies with Part P of the Building Regulations Electrical Safety.

Please note: if the floor area is less than 15m2 it can be built of timber and sited within 1m of the boundary.

The ground level addition of a conservatory, porch or carport

It must be:

  • no larger than 30m2 in floor area
  • separated from the existing dwelling by external quality draught-stripped doors or windows
  • and in the case of a carport is open on at least two sides.

Please note: To be classed as a conservatory the extension must have:

  • at least 75% of its roof made of translucent material, such as glass or polycarbonate sheeting
  • at least 50% of its walls made of translucent material.
Other important considerations

Even if you don't need to submit a building regulations application you should still think about:

  • Glazing - all glazing must satisfy the requirements of Part N of the Building Regulations and safety glass must be installed when:
    • glass in doors and sidelights either side of a door is less than 1500mm above floor level
    • windows have a sill height of less than 800mm from the floor
  • Ventilation - boiler flues and ventilation inlets for boilers and fireplaces should not be covered by the conservatory
  • Electrical work - electrical work needs to comply with Part P of the building regulations. Where electric sockets and lighting are installed in the building, the best option is to employ an electrician who is a member of a competent persons scheme and can self-certify their work. Alternatively, you may need to make a building regulations application
  • Plumbing - if the new area is to include waste plumbing, such as for a new WC, shower or bath, foul water drainage then a building regulations application will need to be made for those works only
  • Heating - if a fixed heating installation is proposed it should have its own separate on/off temperature controls. The installer should be competent person scheme registered or a building regulation application will be needed.
  • Drains - foul and surface water drains can be built over as long as they are properly protected, to prevent them breaking, with no extra weight being placed on them as a result of the works. The new foundations should be taken below the level of the drain and suitable lintels should be provided where they cross the foundations.

Take a look at the interactive house on the Planning Portal website for more in-depth information.

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive.

Apply for building regulations approval

There are three types of application for you to choose from:

Building notice application

Building notices cannot be used for commercial projects and are recommended for minor domestic work. Unlike a full plans application, any plans or details provided are not checked and approved before work begins; the process instead focuses on discussions and site visits as the work progresses.


Although your fees will be calculated during the online application, you can take a look at how much it will cost before you submit your application:

Building control application fees (109kb)

What you need to submit

You don't need to submit any documents but it may help your application if you have any supporting information relevant to your request, such as a plan that shows the proposed works, or any photographs or calculations.

After you apply

You can begin work 48 hours after submitting the notice if you wish, but you do so at your own risk.


Submit a 'building notice' application

Full plans application

Full plans applications must be used for commercial projects and are recommended for major or complex domestic work. Unlike a building notice, you will need to submit detailed information before an approval can be given and you may need professional advice from an architect or structural engineer in order to do this.


Although your fees will be calculated during the online application, you can take a look at how much it will cost before you submit your application:

Building control application fees (109kb)

What you need to submit

As part of the application you'll need to provide any supporting information relevant to your request, such as a plan that shows the proposed works or any photographs or calculations.

After you apply

When your plans are approved to building regulations standards, further information is only needed if the work varies from the approved plan. Approval can take up to 5 weeks, although we generally check your plans within 1 week. We will inspect the site at various stages.

A full plans application can take longer than a building notice, but generally they carry less risk as your builder will follow a plan that is compliant with building regulations. Work can start once the application is made, although if you begin before the plans are approved this is at your own risk.


Submit a 'full plans' application

Regularisation application

A regularisation certificate is needed if building work, which was subject to building regulations, has been carried out and an application for approval was not made at the time. This only applies to work carried out on or after 11 November 1985.

This often becomes an issue when a house is put up for sale; it can cause problems for the seller when they cannot supply the buyer with the appropriate building regulations approval notice and completion certificate.

We advise you to contact us to discuss your individual circumstances before you apply for regularisation. If required, you may wish to have an architect or surveyor help you to prepare the necessary plans and information you will need to submit with your application.

In most cases, opening up of the building work may be needed so it can be properly inspected. If you do not take the appropriate corrective action or we cannot identify what corrective work needs to be done, such as if it would cause unreasonable cost or disruption - then regularisation will be refused.


Although your fees will be calculated during the online application, you can take a look at how much it will cost before you submit your application:

Building control application fees (109kb)

What you need to submit

You don't need to submit any documents but it may help your application if you have any supporting information relevant to your request, such as a plan that shows the proposed works, or any photographs or calculations.


Submit a 'regularisation' application

Pay for building control services

You can pay online for the following previously requested building control services:

  • building notice or full plans applications
  • building regularisation or reversion
  • demolition notice
  • other building control and energy services
Pay for a building control service
Beginning building work

When you can start building work depends on the type of application you have submitted. You can start work 48 hours after submitting a building notice, but you should wait until we have approved your plans for a full plans application. Any work prior to approval is commenced at the homeowner's own risk.

Before carrying out any building work, you should check to see if you have other responsibilities to consider, such as planning permission.

Read our guides for householders or for non-householders and commercial planning.

Site inspections

Site inspections are undertaken by us to make sure the work complies with building regulations. This is different from site supervision, which may be undertaken by your own private architect or surveyor to make sure the work meets your own requirements.

Site inspections are required (at least) during the following stages, but will depend on the type of work you are carrying out:

  • Commencement (at least two days before work starts)
  • Foundation excavations
  • Foundation concrete laid
  • Oversite hardcore
  • Damp-proof course
  • Oversite concrete/covering to be started
  • Drains and private sewers
  • Testing drains and private sewers.

Giving us enough notice for your inspection

We can offer a same day site inspection when you call us before 10am, Monday to Friday, on (01482) 393800. However, you must give us a minimum amount of notice for certain types of work:

If additional site inspections are required, we will advise you of this after your application has been submitted.

Complying with building regulations

We have a general duty to enforce the building regulations in our area and can prosecute either the building owner or the person carrying out the work, although this is usually done as a last resort. We will always try to help you to achieve compliance before considering any formal action.

View our enforcement powers on the Planning Portal website.

Completion certificates and application register

One of the most important documents issued by building control is the completion certificate. This is the final stage in the application procedure completing the process. Building control officers carry out on-site inspections at various stages of construction and on satisfactory completion of the work, a completion certificate is issued. This certificate gives the date of the final inspection carried out and states that, as far as can be reasonably ascertained, the work carried out conforms to the building regulations.

The importance of a completion certificate cannot be over-emphasised. It verifies that a property complies with legal guidelines and has been subject to building regulations. For this reason it also facilitates the conveyancing process for all those involved in a property sale, including house owners, developers, solicitors, banks, building societies and purchasers.

This completion certificate is forwarded to the applicant, following a satisfactory final inspection within approximately 5 days of the work being finished. Records of Building Control applications are published on the Building Control Application Register.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council reserves the right to remove or to not display certain application related information, either for confidentiality or data protection reasons.

In accordance with the council's data retention schedule all Building Control application data is retained for a period of 15 years, taken from the date the application was formally deposited to the council and including the Building Control Public Register of applications.

If further information relating to the status of a development in relation to the Building Regulations is needed, then a formal enquiry should be made by email to: building.control@eastriding.gov.uk.

If you need a copy of a completion certificate which was previously issued to you, you can do this below:

Request a copy of a completion certificate


If you are unhappy with the service we have provided, you should first submit a complaint to the council.

If you’ve submitted a full plans application that you believe satisfies building regulations, and we’ve either formally rejected them or told you that the plans are not acceptable, you can apply for a determination on the GOV.UK website.

You can also ask us to relax or dispense with a building regulations requirement if you feel it is not appropriate for your particular circumstances. If we refuse, you can submit an appeal on the GOV.UK website.

Got a question? Get in touch

Get in touch by:


Tel: (01482) 393800


Email: building.control@eastriding.gov.uk

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.