Changing your name

Information about the Deed Poll change of name service available from East Riding of Yorkshire Council's registration service.

What is a Deed Poll?

In the UK anyone can legally change their name without drawing up a formal record. However, in order for the new name to be accepted for use on official documents like your driving licence or passport, a 'Deed Poll' may be required to prove the name change.

East Riding registration and celebratory service provides a change of name or Deed Poll service for any adult over the age of 18 years.

What changes can I make to my name?

A person can change their forenames, surname or both if they wish. This cannot include titles such as Lord, Lady, Sir or Dame etc, or any symbols or numbers. Any new names chosen must not be offensive or rude. The registration service reserves the absolute discretion to decline to witness and register a name considered to be inappropriate.

Will my Deed Poll document be accepted by official establishments or organisations?

Most organisations will accept a Deed Poll document but, if you require one for a specific purpose we advise you to check if the document will be accepted.

Can I change my name on my birth certificate?

No, your birth certificate cannot be changed. The Deed Poll will need to be used in conjunction with your birth certificate.

Can I change my name through this service if I am a foreign national living in this country?

Yes you can, but you must check with your own national authorities to ensure that they will accept the change.

I am a British national living abroad, can I use this service?

Yes you can, however, you must check that the deed poll will be accepted by the relevant authorities for the country which you currently live in.

Which documents will I have to provide?

You will be asked to complete an application form and provide relevant documents to prove your current identity and if appropriate, to link your current name to any previous identities. The Registration Officer will discuss with you and advise on which documents are required when you make your appointment, you may be asked to bring one of more of the documents listed below:

  • Birth certificate showing the name which is to be changed

  • Passport

  • Driving Licence/bank statement/council tax invoice/utility bill  (*provide one only)

  •  Marriage/Civil Partnership certificate

  • Decree Absolute/Civil Partnership dissolution

  • Late spouse or civil partner’s death certificate.

 All documents provided must be originals (not photocopies) and will be returned to you after we have completed your Deed Poll.

Will I be able to purchase additional copies?

Yes. You will be able to purchase additional copies of your Change of Name Deed any time within ten years of the date of the original deed.

How much does it cost? 

A single deed poll will cost £65, with additional copies costing £10 each. 

Please note: our fees are subject to increase on 1 April each year.

How do I arrange an appointment?

You will need to call us on (01482) 393600 or request a call back by sending your details by email to us at registration.service@eastriding.gov.uk. You will be asked to complete an application form and show various original documents depending on your personal circumstances.

Appointments can be made at our Beverley, Bridlington, Cottingham, Goole and Pocklington registration offices for this service.

What happens at the appointment?

When we have checked your application form and documents, we will prepare your change of name deed document for you to sign. The registration officer will then complete and witness the document.

We will return all of your original documents to you along with the completed Deed Poll.

Where can I find out more information? 

If you have any further queries regarding Deed Polls, please get in touch by email registration.service@eastriding.gov.uk or by telephone: (01482) 393600.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.