We've launched a new website!
The information on this web page may now be out of date.
Please visit our new Your Life, Your Way website for current information on how to get active, maintain your independence and get support with your current and future care needs.
Visit the Your Life, Your Way website

Moving from children's to adult social care (transition)

How the council can support you to make the transition from children's to adult social care, who can receive support and when you will receive it.

How can you help young people move from children’s social care to adult social care?

We can offer young people the support they need to make the transition to adulthood, by making care arrangements that help them to live as independently as possible.

We can offer them a transition assessment which identifies where /if they need support, and develop a care and support plant to meet their individual needs.

Who can receive help with their transition?

You could benefit from support with your transition if you are approaching adulthood and:

  • you live with a disability
  • you are a young carer and care for an adult with a disability
  • you have other problems (for example, autism, mental health problems or illness).

If you’re not sure whether you are eligible, contact customer services.

When will I receive help?

To make sure we create the right care and support plan for you, we will carry out a transition assessment to find out what help you will need as you approach adulthood (age 18).

We will assess you at a time that works for you, for example we would not assess you:

  • when you are preparing for exams, or
  • coping with medical treatment.

What do you look at in the transition assessment?

In the assessment, we will consider:

  • your wellbeing (including building a fulfilling social life and making a contribution to society), and
  • your basic living needs.

We will use the assessment to determine what support you need from the adult social care team (if any) to make a successful transition into adulthood.

Please note: The transition assessment may not always result in services, but whatever happens, we will give you good advice and a care and support plan for meeting your identified needs. If it does not result in services, the council will write to you and explain why it has made this decision.

What type of help may I receive?

Your transition assessmentwill tell us what your needs are, then we will work with you (and perhaps your family, carer or someone who knows you well) to build a care and support plan.

We will consider your identified needs and look at the help and support available to you, including your friends, local community services and specialist help if you need it.

As you and your needs will change over time, your support plan will change too. This might be because:

  • you develop new interests
  • move away from home, or
  • go to college.

If this happens we will also provide information and advice explaining other support that may be provided by other organisations, such as the voluntary sector.

Will I need to pay for adult social care services?

There are charges for some of the services we provide. However, no-one has to pay more than they can afford, and, you will need to budget and live within your means.

As well as help with budgeting, we will also offer you advice on getting benefits you are entitled to.

More information on what you will need to pay, is available on the paying for care services page.

Who can I contact for more information?

If you have any questions about making the transition from children's to adult social care, you can talk to your care management worker or you can contact customer services using the details below:

Contact method
(01482) 393939

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.