Residential care homes

Information on a list of care homes, how to choose and pay for a care home, are short breaks offered, express a concern or complain and alternatives to residential homes. 

Where can I find information about care homes in the East Riding? 

You can search for a care home online, or read our printable brochure:


Search by postcode or map to find to find care homes in your area:

Find a care home in the East Riding 

Printable care home brochure (22 colour pages)

Our printable care directory provides comprehensive information about care homes in the East Riding and how to choose one that is right for you: 

Care Directory (pdf 4mb)

Advertising opportunities

Read about how to advertise your business in the care directory.  

How do I choosea care home?

Different care homes specialise in providing care for people with different needs. The main factor to consider is whether the care home you are considering can meet your needs.

You may also want to consider:

  • location of the home
  • size of the home
  • activities the home provides.

Information on choosing a home is available in the council’s care directory brochure below. The section 'Going into care' on page 7 gives advice on choosing a care home:

Care Directory (pdf 4mb)

How can I view Care Quality Commission (CQC) reports for each care home?

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) makes sure hospitals, care homes, dental and GP surgeries, and all other care services in England provide people with safe, effective, compassionate and high-quality care, and they encourage them to make improvements.

Information and reports on each care home are available on the care quality commission (CQC) website:

Care Quality Commission (external website)

or on our Care Home finder:

Find a care home in the East Riding  

Will I have to pay for care home services?

Care homes charge for the care they provide, so if you decide to move into residential care you will always have to contribute towards the cost of your care.

If you have been assessed for your needs and are eligible for support from social care, we might be able to provide some assistance. Find out how to get assessed for your needs on the access to social care.

If you need financial support to pay for care home services, we will undertake a financial assessment measuring your ability to contribute towards the cost of services. Find out more about what is checked in a financial assessment on the paying for social care page

Almost everyone has to contribute something towards the cost of their care. Details are provided in the following pdf document. 

Financial Information - paying care home charges (pdf 337kb)

The GOV.UK website provides help and information about paying for care home services:

Charging for residential accommodation - GOV.UK (external website)

Do care homes offer short breaks (respite care)?

Yes, most care homes do offer a short break facility (or respite), however this depends on what room they have available at any given time.

To find out about short breaks in care homes, contact the care home directly. Contact information for care homes can be found in the care home finder:

Find a care home in the East Riding 

More information on respite care can be found on the  breaks for carers (respite care) page.  

What if I have a complaint or concern about a residential home?

All residential homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can raise a concern or complaint with the CQC. Further information can be found on their website:

Complain about a service or provider - CQC (external website)

What alternatives to residential care are available? 

Residential care might not always meet your needs. 

You might be able to benefit from:

For advice on which services might meet your needs, speak to your care worker or contact customer services:

Contact method
(01482) 393939

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.