Home care services

Home care services for adults such as cleaning, shopping and gardening, how to find providers and buy services, and if you're eligible for social care funding to help pay for these services.

What home care services are available?

Home care is also known as 'domiciliary' care, and is care or support provided in your own home. The type of support available could be in the form of:

  • cleaning services
  • personal assistance, such as washing and dressing
  • domestic chores, such as shopping and laundry services
  • gardening and home maintenance tasks
  • meal preparation and delivery
  • pet care
  • social outings

Take a look at home support on the Connect to Support website.

Find you if you will have to pay for these services or are eligible to receive funding

Will I have to pay for these services?

Home care agencies charge for the care and services they provide, and whether you have to pay for all, some or none of them will depend if you are eligible to receive social care funding

If, following an assessment of your needs and a finances, you are eligible to receive some funding, you will receive a ‘Personal Budget’ which allows you to buy these care services.

If you aren’t eligible for funding, then you can still buy these services, but you must pay for them yourself. Read more about paying for care services.

Take a look at home support on the Connect to Support website.

How can I access home care services such as gardening, cleaning and cooking?

Everyone can access home care services such as gardening, cleaning and cooking - whether you are funded through social care, or you pay for care yourself.

You can buy services directly on the home care services on the Connect to Support website, even if you don't receive funding. 

You can also find a list of local care service providers on the Care Quality Commission website - use the search tools at the top of the page to narrow your search.

Do I have to pay?

Read about whether you will have to pay for these services.

Can I request home care for a friend or relative?

You can contact our customer services to request a referral on behalf of a friend or relative.

Get in touch
(01482) 393939
Adult Social Care Contact Us form

Alternatively, you can visit your  nearest customer service centre

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.