We've launched a new website!
The information on this web page may now be out of date.
Please visit our new Your Life, Your Way website for current information on how to get active, maintain your independence and get support with your current and future care needs.
Visit the Your Life, Your Way website

Breaks for carers (respite care)

How to take short breaks from your care duties, what services are available, who is eligible to access respite care services, how much services cost and how to access them. 

What are short breaks (respite care) for carers? 

Carers breaks allow carers to take time away from their caring responsibilities and look after their own health. Carers may want to take a short break to catch up on sleep or spend leisure time with friends and family.

What short break services for carers are available?    

You can choose to either: 

  • access council-provided short break services, or 

Council-provided services

We provide a number of services to support eligible carers to take short breaks from their care duties. These include:

Relief sitting service

A worker from our carer relief service provides care in the home of the person cared for.

Flexible breaks

Similar to the carer relief sitting service (above), but paid for out of a personal budget. This enables you to pre-book care cover while you take a break.

Short leisure breaks

The carers support service can arrange a short leisure break for carers at either: 

How long is a 'short break'?

The length of the break taken by a carer depends on who is providing the respite care services.

Council-provided respite care

If your short break services are provided by the council, your short break care will likely be organised for a few days at a time spread throughout the year. If you need to take a longer break from your care duties, you will need to discuss this with your care management worker. 

Don't have a care management worker?

You probably are not known to adult care services. Before you can access any council-provided respite care, you should contact customer services to organise an assessment of how the council can support you.

Going on holiday?

The council cannot provide care cover for you if you are going on holiday. You will need to pay for private care to stay in a residential care home or through another private respite care provider. 

Respite care in a residential care home

If your respite care is provided by a residential care home, the length of your stay will depend on space available in the care home. 

You may also need to consider the cost of the stay in the residential home, as prices in most homes will increase with the length of the visit. 

Read more on how to organise a stay in a residential care home.

Private providers of respite care

If you are paying for private respite care, then the length of the stay is dependent on how long you want to pay for. 

Do private providers offer respite care?

Yes. Similar services are provided by independent care providers in the area. 

Details of these can be found on the East Riding Connect to Support website.

Please note: private providers may charge a fee for their services. You should speak to your care worker to check that this can be paid for out of your personal budget.

How can I get cover in an emergency?

If you are unable to provide care due to personal accident or emergency, the carers support service can work with you to organise contingency care plans for anyone you are responsible for.

You can read more about organising care cover in an emergency on the help and support for carers page

How do I organise a short stay in a residential care home?

To arrange a short stay in a residential care home, contact the care home directly to discuss the availability and cost of their services.

You can find contact details of care homes in your area in the care directory and find more information on care homes on the residential care home page.

Who is eligible to request short break support?

To access any short break services from the council, carers must:

  • be aged 18 or over, and
  • have received a carers assessment.
Find out how to get carers assessment on the help and support for carers page.  

Available short break services

Carer relief sitting service

For carers of adults with a diagnosis of a memory impairment.

Flexible breaks for carers

For carers looking after a person over 18-years-old who is in receipt of a  personal budget.

Short breaks for carers

For carers caring for a person over 18-years-old.

Carer emergency cover

For carers caring for a person over 18-years-old and who have been set up with a carers contact card.

Will I have to pay for short break services?

This depends on who is providing your short break care. 

Most council-provided short break services are free, however, there is a charge for the flexible breaks service which is payable from your personal budget.

If you are accessing private short break care or organising a stay in a residential care home, you will need to contact the provider directly to discuss the costs of their services.  

What is a PID number (party identification) and how do I get one?

A PID number (party identification) is a number on the care plan of the person you are caring for. 

If you don’t have a PID number or cannot find it, you can contact us to request one.

After your enquiry has been submitted, we will contact you within three working days with information about the PID number you need.

A PID number allows you to:

  • check availability for a short break
  • change an existing booking 
  • cancel an existing booking.

How can I access council-provided short break services?

Enquire about a short break (respite care)

If you are contacting the carer’s support service for the first time, someone from our adult care management team will discuss the process with you. Based on the information you provide, a decision will be made as to whether you need an assessment. 

Contact us (below) to make an enquiry. We will respond to your enquiry within three working days.

Please note: if you are already receiving services from our adult social care team, any further requests should be made through your care worker.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.