If you have an interest in education and the future of our young people, then volunteering as a governor is a fantastic way to make a huge contribution to our schools within the East Riding. In addition to helping drive educational progress and attainment in your local community, you will have the opportunity to develop and enhance your own skills which will also benefit you in both your personal and professional life.
You can become a school governor by:
- being elected by parents as a parent governor. If your child attends the school
- being elected by the teaching or non-teaching staff, if you are a member of the teaching or non-teaching staff
- being nominated by the local education authority
- being appointed by the church or charitable trust
- or by being co-opted (appointed) by the governing body.
Schools organise elections and tell parents and staff about them, but you can always ask a school whether there are vacancies on the governing body.
You can also complete and submit a local authority school governor application form, available to download below:
Local Authority School Governor Application Form (word 48kb opens in new window)
If you feel that this is the role for you, then please contact:
Senior Governor Support Officer
Tel: (01482) 392446
School Governance and Local Authority Ofsted Development Officer
Tel: (01482) 392173