Resident Parking Scheme (RPS) permits and how they work

Explains what RPS parking permits are, who is allowed a permit, how much permits cost, how often permits need to be renewed, how many permits can be applied for, where and when you can park with an RPS permit, where permits should be displayed, where to return disused permits and steps the council takes to prevent misuse of permits.

What are RPS parking permits?

A RPS parking permit allows authorised drivers to park vehicles in streets with a Resident Parking Scheme marked by parking bays and signs.

Only residents are allowed a permit, which they have to pay for and display on their vehicle.

Who is alloweda permit?


Residents currently living on a RPS (Resident Parking Scheme) street and who meet all of the following criteria can obtain a parking permit for a period of one year:

  • you spend at least four nights a week at your home on a RPS street
  • the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate (log book) shows your name and address in the RPS area or your company name or the name of a hire company
  • your vehicle is a car, van or motorcycle.

 You will not qualify for a resident parking permit if any of the following apply:

  • you own a property in the RPS but live elsewhere
  • you work in the RPS but live elsewhere
  • you are a tourist
  • you are a member of staff or a guest in a hotel
  • you are domestic staff but live outside the RPS
  • you want to supervise builders in a property you plan to move in to
  • the vehicle is not registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) at an address within the RPS
  • you borrow or share a vehicle.

Apply for a RPS permit.

Visitors, contractors and carers

Visitor, contractor and carer permits are not available to anyone living or working in a RPS area, except for Brough.

If you live in one of the other RPS areas, visitors must adhere to the parking restrictions displayed or park nearby on another street which isn't an RPS area.

Blue badge holders

Disabled badge holders do not require a permit and can park in any part of a RPS area for any length of time as long as you follow the general  parking rules for Blue Badge holders.

Foreign plate vehicles

In order to apply for a resident parking permit, your vehicle must be registered in the UK.

Please use the application form below to apply for a 3 month temporary permit whilst your car is being registered to the UK:

Foreign plate temporary parking permit (pdf 82kb)


If you own a motorbike or moped you will need to apply for a resident's parking permit.

Read about displaying your motorcycle permit.

How often do I need to renew my parking permit?

All RPS permits are renewed annually and you can renew your permit any time in the month before it runs out.

A reminder will be sent two weeks before your residents permit is due to expire via email. Please note: A valid email address is required on your Mipermit account, in-order to receive this service.

Read about permit costs.

How many RPS permits can I apply for?

You can only have one permit per household (unless you live in Brough where you can also have an annual visitor permit).

You can apply for a visitor permit using the same application form as for a new resident parking permit.

If you have other family members whose vehicles aren't covered by the permit, they must park on a nearby street which isn't in a RPS area.

Where and when can I park with a RPS permit?

If you have a valid resident parking permit, you can park on the street highlighted on your permit ensuring you:

  • don't 'reserve' a specific parking place for your own vehicle near your house
  • park your vehicle so that the wheels are within the parking bay (marked by white dashed lines)
  • don't park a trailer or caravan in a resident parking bay. Anything other than a vehicle is not allowed to be parked on the street.

Please note: having a parking permit does not guarantee that you will have a parking space.

Where do I display my RPS permit?

You must secure your permit on the passenger side of the vehicle’s windscreen so that all the details are clearly visible. You are responsible for making sure that the permit can be seen clearly at all times.

Motorcycle permits must be kept in a safe place (inside your home, not on the motorcycle itself) but have it available to produce on the request of a Civil Enforcement Officer.

Please note: If it is not clearly displayed, you may receive a penalty charge notice.

What happens if I no longer need or qualify for my RPS permit?

If you no longer need your permit (eg you no longer have a vehicle), or are no longer eligible for a permit (eg you move house), you must return it to us at the Permits Office. If you do not return the permit, you will be breaking the rules of the Resident Parking Permit Scheme and committing an offence.


Refunds will not be given under any circumstances.

How do you stop people misusing RPS permits?

Fake or copied parking permits can be identified easily due to their lack of a design detail such as the hologram on a valid permit.

Also, certain evidence must be provided to obtain a parking permit which is checked thoroughly. 

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.