Apply for planning permission

Find out how to apply, what information you need to submit, how we can help you with your application and how you can amend or renew your application.

Which application form do I need to complete?

The type of form you need to complete depends on the type of work you are doing:

‘Householder’ applications

If you want to make alterations/extend your home, then you will need the 'Householder’ application form. 

This form can be submitted online or on paper. 

Find out how to apply for planning permission below. 

‘Full’ applications

If you need to demolish and/or build a new home you will need the 'Full’ application form. 

'Full' planning applications can be submitted online or on paper. Read more about 'how to apply' below.

You can also read more about 'full planning permission' below:

Details of 'full' planning applications – Planning portal (external pdf opens in new window)

Find out how to apply for planning permission below. 

'Outline' applications

Most applicants will submit a 'full' application with all details of their proposal, so that if approved, the scheme can be built quickly.

An 'outline' planning application can, however, be used to establish the principle of development and is then followed by approval of 'reserved matters' when the details of the scheme are drawn up.

Outline planning permission is often sought for residential development on a site so that the land owner can sell to a developer with the principle already agreed.

Find out how to apply for planning permission below. 

Other applications

The Planning Portal also provides access to other application forms that may be required such as listed building consent, works to trees and hedgerow removal, advertisement consent and lawful development certificates.

Find out how to apply for planning permission below.

What information do I need to submit?

Before you submit your application, you must prepare the following information:

‘Householder’ applications

Your householder application must be accompanied by:

‘Full’ applications

Full applications require more information than householder applications. 

Please take a look at our full planning application checklists.

Are there any file type or file size restrictions when submitting electronically?

Yes. There are various restrictions on file sizes and file types that you can submit electronically to support your application. You can find guidance on this subject on the file sizes and formats guidance page.

Can I submit confidential information?

Planning applications are public documents and will be published on the Council’s website so that interested parties can properly consider an application and decide whether they wish to comment.

If you want to submit supporting information with your application that you do not wish to be published, then this must be submitted as a separate document and clearly labelled “confidential information”. 

The Council will normally only accept confidential information in the following circumstances – 

  • When financial information is submitted as part of a housing viability assessment
  • When financial information is submitted in support of an application for a dwelling in the countryside
  • When personal information relating to a disability or medical problem is submitted to justify an application
  • when personal and financial information is submitted as evidence to support an application for a Certificate of Lawful Development

In all cases, you will need to refer to and summarise the submitted confidential information in your application so that members of the public know that you are asking the Council to take this information into account.

How do I apply and pay for planning permission?

Once you have determined you definitely need planning permissionthe easiest way is to apply online, but you can also submit a paper application:


It's much easier to apply online:

  • quick and user-friendly system
  • helps you choose the correct form
  • step-by-step help and advice
  • save your work and take a break
  • attach plans and drawings
  • save time and money
  • the application is sent to the council immediately.

Make a planning application online – Planning Portal (external website)

Payment online:

Your fee will be calculated during the application and you can pay in one of four ways:

  • secure online payment: by credit or debit card:

Pay for a planning application 

  • payment by cheque: the system will tell you where to post the cheque when you select this option

  • payment by phone: the system will provide the correct telephone number when you select this option.

Please note: There is no surcharge added when making payments by debit/credit card.

On paper

If you'd prefer to submit a paper application, the Planning Portal website has all the necessary forms and help notes you may need:

Print off a planning application form – Planning Portal (external website)

Submitting your paper form:

Once completed, you can take the application form and accompanying plans to any customer service centre or post them to us at: 

Planning and development management team 
Cross Street
County Hall
HU17 9BA.

Payment with your paper form:

Your fee can be paid in one of two ways when submitting a paper application:

  • by cheque: this must be submitted with your application, and should be made out to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council'

  • by credit/debit card: over the phone on (01482) 393647 (please wait a few days before calling to ensure the application has been received and loaded into the system).

Either way, payment needs to be received with the application submission in order to avoid delay. 

Please note: you can only pay online if you apply for planning permission online.

How do I make changes to my submitted application?

When permission is granted it is subject to a condition that building works should be carried out in accordance with approved plans.

If you wish to make amendments you are advised to discuss this with the case officer who dealt with your application. Their contact details will have been provided to you previously.

What are the most common reasons for invalid planning applications?

There is a wide range of reasons as to why a planning application may be made invalid which can result in delays to the process. The list below details the most common reasons why some applications were made invalid for a time during 2013. Paying attention to these common issues and avoiding them may result in your application being processed more smoothly.

It is also worth paying particular attention to the validation guidance before submitting your application in order to minimise any chance of delay.

Most common reasons for planning applications being made invalid:

  • Inaccurate or incomplete plans and information.

  • Block plan and elevation plan views do not correlate (e.g. doors/windows not showing on both or in contradicting locations).

  • Floor plan and elevation plan do not correlate (e.g. doors/windows not showing on both).

  • Plans submitted are not to scale i.e. plan showing 1:200, however, when measured shows 1:100.

  • Plans do not include a scale bar at all - all plans must include a scale bar (see document guidance).

  • Location Plans - discrepancies as to where/when to draw red and blue lines around sites or boundaries.

  • Location Plans - no red line around the site at all.

  • Electronic plans are not saved and submitted as shown on the scale stated - when printed out they may print in A3 rather than A0 - plans must be saved to the correct scale and this must be correctly stated on the document.

Can you give me an idea if my plans will get permission?

Yes. Details of the charges can be found on the fees page.

Once you know you will need to apply for planning permission ( we can tell you if you need planning permission), we can check if your plans are likely to be approved before you make the formal application. This pre-application advice can save you time and money submitting an unacceptable or incorrect planning application.

Submit the outline of your plans to us, using the form below:

Find out if your plans will be approved

Whilst the plans don't need to be the final drawings, the more detailed information you supply, the better the advice we can give. 

If you are proposing to extend your house, the council has prepared guidance on what would normally be acceptable:

Extensions in the East Riding (pdf 292kb opens in new window)