Listed buildings

Information about what a listed building is, what listed building consent is, how to access application forms, application costs, what to do if you are refused, viewing applications, find out if your building is listed, what is protected and who to contact. 

What is a listed building?

These are buildings which have been designated by the central government as being the most important historic buildings in the council's area. 

Listed buildings have three different grades. The grade given to a building is decided by the quality of the building’s architecture or historic importance. Listed buildings  include major ecclesiastical buildings, such as Beverley Minster, stately homes such as Burton Constable, farmhouses, cottages and small structures such as phone boxes. 

The three grades are:

  • Grade I which are the most important buildings nationally, of exceptional interest
  • Grade II* which are of particular importance, and
  • Grade II  which is of special architectural or historic interest

The inside, as well as the outside of the building, is covered by the listing and the listing may cover structures within the curtilage. If you own a listed building    or intend to carry out work to a listed building, it is always advisable to contact one of the council's conservation officers before any work is commenced.  

The government takes the protection of listed buildings seriously. It is one of the very few areas of planning legislation where the carrying out of works without the appropriate consent is a criminal offence, which can be punishable by a fine or imprisonment. Not all listed buildings are immediately recognisable as such and the list includes structures such as lamp-standards, milestones, mounting blocks, crosses and telephone boxes.

If you wish to discuss a matter relating to a listed building please contact us on (01482) 393721.

What is listed building consent?

Listed buildings are protected because of their nationally acknowledged architectural or historic merit and special permission is required (obtained by the granting of listed building consent), for any works which affect the character of the building. The Historic England website gives help and guidance on listed building consent:

Historic England - Listed building consent (external website)

How do I access listed building consent forms?

Visit our planning applications pagefor access to planning forms. This page also provides information on how to submit an application for all forms of planning consent, including listed building consent.

What can I do if my application is refused?

If your planning application is refused and you think that the proposal could be altered to make it more acceptable it can be re-submitted again with different plans. Read more about how you can appeal against the decision.

Where can I view applications for listed building consent?

View applications through the council’s public access system via the following link. Follow the instructions to the 'planning > simple search' page. Choose the type of search required and enter the required information into the search box.

Public access planning (external East Riding website)

Facilities are available for you to view current applications on the Public Access website at any of the council's libraries. Find your nearest library.

You can also print copies at a charge, you can view library charges online.

For ease of search, you will need either the application reference number, postcode or single line of an address to view the application. A member of the library staff will be able to assist you if required. You can also register your details on this website in order to submit comments against any pending applications.

Can I find out if my building is listed?

Buildings are listed by national government and you can search for all listed buildings on the Historic England website:

Find out if your building is listed - The National Heritage List for England (external website)

My building is listed, but what is protected?

Some people wrongly assume that on listed buildings only the front elevation is protected. That is wrong, the listing status protects the building in its entirety, inside and outside and also includes buildings within its curtilage.

I want to undertake work to my listed building, who do I need to speak to?

Each listed building is different and therefore it is impossible to give general advice. Some works might require formal listed building consent but there is also a range of things you might be able to do without having to submit an application. But please be aware, listed buildings are protected by law and unauthorised changes might be illegal. However, the team is happy to discuss this with you by calling (01482) 393721.