Building control

Explains what building control is and what the competent person scheme is.

What is Building Control?

The role of Building Control is principally to ensure the health and safety of people in and about buildings. The following activities are carried out to achieve this:

  • Check plans to ensure work satisfies the standards of the building regulations
  • Inspect work on site as it progresses to ensure that buildings are safe, energy efficient and have reasonable access for all
  • Deal with dangerous structures
  • Deal with and where necessary supervise the demolition of buildings
  • Inspect and arrange for the securing of empty properties that are open to unauthorised access
  • Enforce the Building Regulations where standards are not met and undertake enforcement action when it is in the public interest. This is often a last resort as we endeavour to assist people as much as possible in achieving compliance with the regulations
  • Site inspections should not be confused with full site supervision of the work or continuous quality control. This should be undertaken by your own private architect or surveyor to make sure that the work meets your requirements

Our aim is to collectively work with you in the provision of an efficient service to your customer and to assist in the satisfactory completion of your constructional projects.

The service handles approximately 2,500 fee-paying applications every year from small domestic extensions to large-scale major projects such as power stations and hospitals.

If you are intending to erect a new building or to extend, alter or change the use of a building, the regulations will probably apply and assistance can be found on our building regulations page and exemptions page or by contacting one of the officers for your area.

 Building Control application forms are available on our applications page.

What is the competent person scheme (CPS)?

Competent person schemes (CPS) were introduced by the Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the building regulationsas an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector. 

Information including existing Competent Person Schemes can be found on the GOV.UK website:

GOV.UK - Competent person schemes (external website)

What are the determinations and appeals processes?

Determinations and appeals are two procedures which provide for the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government or the Welsh Ministers in the Welsh Assembly Government, as appropriate, to adjudicate in disputes between people carrying out building work subject to the Building Regulations and a building control body (i.e. either a local authority or a private sector approved inspector).

Further information can be found via the GOV.uk website.