The main aim of the Service is to increase participation in sport, play and physical activity for all ages and abilities.
Some of the work carried out by the Service includes:
- Strategic planning of particular projects
- Monitoring and evaluating projects
- Assessing the impact of programmes
- Establishing links between schools, sports clubs and community groups
- Providing support and advice to schools, clubs, play groups on a number of development issues, such as funding, training etc
- Working with key partners to provide opportunities for all ages to increase their physical activity levels
A typical path into the service initially involves volunteer work and then progression to a casual coach or play worker. Once you have gained experience within this role and have developed your skills, you should be able to move on. The minimum number of years experience to gain a Sport, Play or Arts Development Officer role is usually about two years.