Burton Pidsea Wind Farm Community Fund

The Burton Pidsea Community Wind Farm Fund currently receives an annual donation from the developer. Find out more about funding information for communities here.

What is the Burton Pidsea Community Wind Farm Fund?

Funding is available to local community organisations for charitable, educational, community, environmental and energy efficiency initiatives taking place in the electoral wards of Mid Holderness, North Holderness, South East Holderness and South West Holderness with a preference for appropriate initiatives within the proximity of the development. The fund panel defined proximity to the development as a five-kilometre radius of Burton Pidsea Post Office.

The fund receives an annual donation from the wind farm owner EnergieKontor UK Limited. The amount of the donation is based on a formula of £2,000 per megawatt of the wind farm to a maximum of £20,400 per annum.

For further information on EnergieKontor UK Limited visit:

EnergieKontor UK Ltd (external website)

What is the area of benefit for the fund?

The area of benefit of the fund is the electoral wards of Mid-Holderness, North Holderness, South East Holderness and South West Holderness in the East Riding of Yorkshire, with a preference for appropriate initiatives within the proximity of the development. The fund panel defined proximity to the development as a 5-kilometre radius of Burton Pidsea Post Office, HU12 9AX.

What types of activities will the fund support?

The criteria for the fund is 'to promote initiatives for the benefit of the community'. This means that the fund panel can consider any project that is not for profit and open to any member of the community to use or attend. If you have an idea and you are not sure please contact the fund administrator for advice .

Email ruralfunding@eastriding.gov.uk

Are there any activities that cannot be funded?

The following activities cannot be supported by the fund:

  • Activities detrimental to the commercial operation of the wind farm
  • Political or religious campaigns
  • Statutory duties of the public body including the East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Humberside Police, Fire and Rescue Services, the Coastguard, the Health Authority or Parish Council.

How can the money be spent?

The fund panel can distribute the money as:

  • commissioning - where the fund panel devise a public benefit project and employ a group to deliver it
  • donations - where no conditions are placed on the money given to a project
  • grants - where conditions on use are placed on the money given to a project with timescales, milestones and reporting arrangements in place
  • loans - where the money is spent and repaid at a later date.

Who can request funds?

Requests for funds are accepted from community groups, community organisations, companies, firms and societies, charities, parish councils, schools and churches. New groups or ideas for projects where a group does not currently exist can be considered. 

For further advice please contact the fund administrator:

Email: ruralfunding@eastriding.gov.uk

How much money can be applied for?

Applications for over £500 (and up to a maximum value of £10,000) should be made to the main fund. 

Applications for under £500 should be made to the fund’s Community Chest. This is a simpler application process for very small one-off projects. Unlike the main fund (which is open to receive applications for three months), the Community Chest is open year round. 

Please also see the 'How do I submit an application for funding' answer below:

Will the fund support 100% of the project costs?

In certain circumstances up to 100% funding is available however, projects that show their own contribution to costs will be viewed more favourably. As a guide the fund panel suggest 20% of total projects costs as a contribution. The contribution can be cash, donations, equipment loans, free use of land or buildings and/or volunteer time.

How is the fund managed and who makes decisions about how it is spent?

The fund is managed by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council, the accountable body. The council is responsible for holding the money, reporting to the developer, receiving and checking applications, financial audits, processing of payments and providing the secretariats to the fund panel.

 Decisions on how the money is spent are made by a fund panel made up of  representatives from the following organisations:

  • Burton Pidsea Parish Council
  • Burstwick Parish Council
  • Elstronwick Parish Council
  • Halsham Parish Council
  • Roos Parish Council
  • A member of the Burton Pidsea Community
  • East Riding of Yorkshire Council
  • The Developer.

What are the deadlines and timescales?

The main fund is open from 6 January 2020 and closes 31 March 2020 with a decision-making meeting in late April 2020.

Applications to the Community Chest can be made at any time.

What is the application process from start to finish?

  1. The applicant completes an online Application Form and submits it electronically with supporting evidence (including quotes, permissions, accounts and bank statements).  These forms can be accessed using the link in the last section below.
  2. The online system acknowledges receipt of application.
  3. The Administrator carries out a Technical Appraisal (does the applicant have power and permissions to carry out the project, does the project meet the fund criteria, has all the necessary information been supplied?).
  4. The Application is sent to Fund Panel for scoring.
  5. Fund panel meets and makes a decision (full award, part award or decline).
  6. Administrator writes to unsuccessful applicants stating decision and the reason.
  7. Administrator writes to successful applicants offering funding and explaining any conditions that may apply.
  8. Successful applicants write back accepting the offer of money and the conditions.
  9. Successful applicants submit an invoice for 50% of the money (unless the total grant value is £1000 or less which can be invoiced in full). Please note: normal payment terms are 30 days.
  10. Successful applicants complete the project.
  11. Successful applicants submit the End of Grant report, supporting evidence and invoice for remaining 50% of grant.

How do I submit an application for funding?

Applications to the main fund (over £500) should be made on the online application form within the Flexi-Grant system. To access this system click on the link: 

Flexi-Grant System (external council website)

There are two options on the system to choose from:

  • For Small Project applications – select up to £2k form
  • For larger Project applications select over £2k form. 

Both forms have guidance notes to help you complete the form. 

Applications for up to £500 should be made on the Community Chest Form which, along with Guidance Notes, can be downloaded from the documents box below. 

If you have any queries please contact the fund by email: ruralfunding@eastriding.gov.uk