Privacy notice for Sport and Play Service

What do we use the information for?

The Sport and Play team enables and supports the development of quality sport, play, physical activity and community engagement opportunities for all residents of the East Riding.

The Sport and Play team only holds information on individuals/groups that is programme specific and is used on behalf of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council for the purposes of ensuring programmes are delivered effectively.

What information do we hold and use?

We collect and process the following information:

  • Personal information such as names and addresses, emergency telephone numbers and medical information
  • Information relating to participants’ health which may affect participation on activities/programmes
  • Essential databases relevant to programme specific areas which are used to inform groups about opportunities, such as funding e.g. Sports Club Database
  • Information taken to form part of a project case study or be used within an Annual Report. In all cases, consent is granted by the individual (or their parent/guardian) or a representative of the group/organisation. 

On what grounds do we use the information?

Information is used when you have given consent to the processing of your personal data, for example through a signed registration form for one of our programmes.  

Processing of personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a person, data concerning health or data concerning a person's sex life or sexual orientation shall be prohibited with the exception stated below:

When you have given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes.

How do we collect this information?

In most cases, you will give written consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes.

On occasions, personal data will be collected over the phone, in person or via email but always in agreement with the individual.

Who do we share your information with?

The Sport and Play team do not share any personal information to external organisations which sit outside of the council unless explicit permission has been given. An example of this would be when someone asks to be sent information about a particular type of event, run by an external organisation.

On occasions, personal information is shared with other departments within the council, in order to provide people with information and services that are relevant to them. These departments include:

In certain rare circumstances when someone is experiencing harm or is at risk of harm, personal information will be shared with statutory agencies as required by law, in order to protect the person or persons. These departments/agencies include:

  • Children’s Social Care
  • Adults’ Social Care
  • The Police. 

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The Sport, Play and Arts Service has a retention schedule in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is required. For information on how long your information will be held please visit the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

Under GDPR guidelines, individuals have the right to control the information held about them and how it is used. The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which your information is collected. All rights that you could have are outlined on the data protection page.

For the purposes of information held by the Sport and Play team, individuals have the following rights:

  • The right to access – You are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk.
  • The right to rectification – If you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email sportandplay@eastriding.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly.
  • The right to restrict processing – Should you wish the Sport, Play and Arts Service to limit how we use your data, please email sportandplay@eastriding.gov.uk with the reason for your request.  
  • The right to object – In addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions. Should you exercise this right to object, it will not limit the information you receive from the Sport, Play and Arts Service, as we may still be required by law to provide you with certain information. In such circumstances the Sport, Play and Arts Service will take appropriate steps to ensure that your request is complied with but that it also fulfils any legal obligation it has to provide you with information or supply services.

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.