Privacy notice for forward planning

What do we use the information for?

We use this information to prepare local plans and other planning documents that guide development decisions in the East Riding. The forward planning team may use this information to prepare the following documents and their associated consultation drafts: 

  • the East Riding Local Plan 
  • the Joint Minerals Plan (with Hull City Council)
  • the Joint Waste Plan (with Hull City Council) 
  • supplementary planning documents, including site masterplans
  • statement of community involvement
  • community infrastructure levy
  • sustainability appraisals and habitats regulation assessments
  • monitoring reports (e.g. the strategic housing land availability assessment)
  • neighbourhood development plans and orders
  • the brownfield register 

We use the information to formulate policy and to keep people up to date with the preparation and adoption of planning policy documents.

What information do we hold and use?

We collect and process the following information:

  • personal information (such as name, postal address, email address, telephone numbers)
  • comments from individuals and organisations in relation to planning policy matters
  • some sensitive information (e.g. health conditions) where this has been voluntarily disclosed as part of a response to a consultation document. We do not actively collect this information; it is sometimes provided by individuals for context to support their view on a particular planning policy issue. 

On what grounds do we use the information?

Section 18 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 requires local planning authorities to prepare a statement of community involvement. This sets out how the council will involve the community and other stakeholders in the preparation, alteration and continuing review of the local plan, including the joint minerals and waste plans, as well as supplementary planning documents. 

Regulation 18 of The Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 requires local planning authorities to take account any representation made to them in preparing the local plan, joint waste plan or joint minerals plan. Regulation 22 requires us to submit copies of representations (consultation responses to the final draft) to the Secretary of State.

All the information collected is processed in the public interest.

How do we collect this information?

The personal data we collect is taken from responses to consultation documents or is provided to us through the explicit consent of individuals. We normally provide a response form for people to use when we are seeking views on a consultation document. We also collect information when people respond via letter, email or on the telephone. 

Some personal data is also provided to us where an individual or organisation contacts us to ask to be kept informed of progress on planning policy documents. Again, this is usually in the form of a letter, email or telephone call.

Who we share your information with?

Consultation responses are made public on the council’s website. We only redact comments from individuals to remove data in respect of postal addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers and signatures. 

Personal data will only be shared with specified parties as set out below: 

Name Reasons for sharing data
Town and parish councils To help prepare neighbourhood development plans and orders. 
Secretary of state/planning inspecorate To assist in the examination of planning documents. Regulation 22 of The Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 requires local planning authorities to submit copies of representations (consultation responses) to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State appoints an inspector from the Planning Inspectorate to ‘examine’ the planning document in question.
Hull City Council To assist in the preparation of the Joint Minerals Plan and Joint Waste Plan. These plans are prepared jointly with Hull City Council and data needs to be shared to fulfil the requirements of preparing local plan documents. 

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collected your information. All of the rights you could have outlined upon the data protection rights page. In most cases, people who have been involved with forward planning will have the following rights:

  • The right of access – you are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing: data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk
  • The right to rectification – if you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email: forward.planning@eastriding.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly.
  • The right to erasure – any applications made are on a voluntary basis and can be withdrawn at any time before a consultation process ends. However, after this, they cannot be deleted as they may be needed as part of the legal process that follows. Contact details on mailing lists can be deleted upon request to: forward.planning@eastriding.gov.uk.
  • The right to restrict processing – should you wish us to limit how we use your data please email: forward.planning@eastriding.gov.uk with the reason for your request.
  • The right to object – in addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions. 

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.