Privacy notice for financial services

What do we use the information for?

The financial services section comprises three accountancy service teams, a systems team, a creditor payments team, a strategic pay services team, and an insurance team. The section provides a range of financial services to the council and external clients including financial planning, statements of accounts, budgeting, financial systems and controls, payments and strategic payroll.

The section holds information about individuals so that it can carry out effective financial management including:

  • processing payments external individuals
  • processing payments to employees and elected councillors
  • procurement card administration•recording transactions on the ledger
  • properly accounting for expenditure and income
  • budget setting and budget monitoring
  • providing financial management information
  • costing staffing budgets
  • providing financial analysis and advice to internal and external customers  
  • management of corporate appointee accounts
  • submission of grant funding claims
  • administering prepaid cards for direct payment clients
  • managing school budgets
  • high needs top-up payments
  • looked after children payments
  • adoption and other carer allowances payments
  • monitoring and payments for social care placements  
  • calculating and setting council housing rents
  • administration of employee car loans and leases
  • managing insurance claims from the public, employees and clients
  • management of the section and all related policies including attendance, performance, conduct etc.

What information do we hold and use?

The section collects and processes the following types of personal data in order to provide the services:

  • personal, for example: name, address, telephone, date of birth
  • employee information, for example, payroll number, salary, taxation, national insurance, pension details, sickness details
  • bank account details
  • email addresses
  • adult and children social care client details
  • school pupil details
  • high needs top up payments - name of child and payments to schools
  • looked after children payments - name of child and date of birth
  • name of adopted child and child’s carer
  • corporate appointee detaiIs
  • housing rent account details
  • private vehicle details
  • personal details relating to insurance claims 
  • insurance related legal records.

On what grounds do we use the information?

Section 151 of the Local Government Act 1972 requires local authorities to make arrangements for the proper administration of their financial affairs.

The CIPFA Statement on the role of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in local government describes the role and responsibilities of the CFO including responsibility for the finance function.  

The CFO and the finance function need to access individuals’ information as required in order to carry out the role.  

How do we collect this information?

Personal data is accessed from council systems, for example social care systems and the payroll/HR system. Responsibility for the data within these systems rests with the relevant service. However, where individuals’ data is downloaded and processed within finance services responsibility for this information is within the section.

Personal data, e.g. bank details may also be collected directly from the individual where required.

For insurance purposes, information may be obtained from claimants, witnesses, the police, insurance providers and brokers.

Who do we share your information with?

The section procures systems from various suppliers to support its financial management role. The following providers may have access to your information purely for the purposes of supporting our systems; they will not use your information for any other purpose. 

  • INFOR UK Ltd
  • Technology One UK Ltd
  • Orovia Group Ltd
  • Transforce BV
  • NatWest Client Monies Services 
  • allpay Ltd
  • PAS Ltd
  • JC Applications Development Ltd
  • Esphera Solutions Ltd. 

The section may share or disclose your information to any of the following recipients as may be necessary for the financial administration of the authority in line with statutory obligations and/or to comply with contractual obligations relating to it:

  • service providers, professional advisers and auditors who in certain circumstances will also be “data controllers”
  • regulators, the government, local and foreign law enforcement authorities
  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
  • local and foreign courts, tribunals and arbitrators, other judicial committees of enactments of laws
  • past and present insurance providers, brokers and claims handlers. 

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The section has a retention schedule in place that ensure information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long information is held, visit the privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which your information is collected.  All of the rights you could have are outlined on the data protection rights page. 

  • The right of access - You are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing: data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk 
  • The right to rectification - If you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email: technical.team@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly. 
  • The right to erasure/right to be forgotten - The section will delete a record unless required to retain by statute.   
  • The right to restrict processing - Should you wish us to limit how we use your data please email: technical.team@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk with the reason for your request. 
  • The right to data portability – Data will be provided in the event that it is required by another organisation for example through a transfer of services.  
  • The right to object - In addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions.

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.