Privacy notice for countryside access team

What do we use the information for?

We use this information to deliver access to the countryside services on behalf of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.  

The countryside access team holds information about individuals if they have contacted us to make a complaint or enquiry about a public right of way or countryside facility. In addition, if a customer has booked onto a countryside event then we use that information to help make that activity run smoothly and safely. The information held is used to:

  • enable officers to make the best decisions on prioritising rights of way defects and to communicate with the customer or landowner during the investigation of the issue raised
  • enable officers to access the Bears booking system to see the numbers and names of individuals who have booked on a countryside event
  • communicate to customers regarding the annual countryside events programme.


What information do we hold and use?

We collect and process the following information:

  • personal information such as name, address, phone numbers, email addresses of customers who contact us with regard to Public Rights of Way (PROW) or countryside facilities
  • personal information such as name, address and phone numbers and email addresses of customers who book onto a countryside event
  • personal information such as name, address, phone numbers and email addresses of individuals who volunteer for the countryside access team.


On what grounds do we use the information?

Information is used when you have given consent to the processing of your personal data, for example through the countryside events programme or other programmes of work.

Processing of personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person's sex life or sexual orientation shall be prohibited with the exception stated below:

You have given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes.

How do we collect this information?

In most cases, you will give written consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes.

On occasions, personal data will be collected over the phone, in person or via email but always in agreement with the individual.

Who we share your information with?

The countryside access team does not share any personal information to external organisations which sit outside of the council, unless explicit permission has been given.

On occasions personal information I shared with other departments within the council, in order to provide people with information and services that are relevant to them. In addition public rights of way information would be shared as appropriate with others to enable a statutory duty investigation to be carried out efficiently by the council. These departments include:

  • sports play and arts
  • foreshores
  • asset strategy (definitive map team)
  • legal services
  • insurance.


How long do we store it and is it secure?

The countryside access team has a retention schedule in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page.

Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collected your information. All of the rights you could have outlined on the data protection page. For the purpose of information held by the countryside access team individuals have the following rights:

  • The right of access - You are entitled to see the information the service holds about you and can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk  
  • The right to rectification - If you believe any information the service holds about you to be incorrect please email countrysideaccess@eastriding.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly. 
  • The right to restrict processing - Should you wish the Countryside Access team to limit how we use your data please email countrysideaccess@eastriding.gov.uk with the reason for your request. 

No automated decision making will take place with regard to the personal information submitted. 

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. 

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.