[Skip to content]

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Voting criteria for different elections

Who can vote at ward or parish elections and neighbourhood planning referendums?

To vote at local ward or parish elections or neighbourhood planning referendums you must:

be 18 years or over on polling day and registered to vote, and be:

You cannot vote in a local ward or parish election if you are: 

    • under 18 
    • not a British, Irish or a Commonwealth or European Union citizen living in the UK 
    • in prison (apart from remand prisoners) 
    • an overseas elector (a British citizen living abroad)

Top of page 

Who can vote at Parliamentary (General elections?

To vote at the General (Parliamentary) elections you must:

You cannot vote in a General (Parliamentary) election if you are:

  • a member of the House of Lords 
  • a European Union citizen (and not also a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen) 
  • in prison (apart from remand prisoners)

Top of page

Who can vote at Police and Crime Commissioner elections?

You can vote in the Police and Crime Commissioner elections if you have registered to vote and are one of the following:

The following cannot vote in a Police and Crime Commissioner election:

    • anyone other than British, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizens

    • convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)

    • anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election

Top of page

Who can vote at European Parliamentary elections?

To vote in European Parliamentary elections you must be registered to vote and be:

Please note: If you're an EU citizen, but not a British citizen then you additionally have to sign a form for the Electoral Commission stating that you will only vote in the UK and not in your country of citizenship.

Top of page