Employing staff

When your business is ready to take on staff you should be aware of insurance, employment contracts, pay rates, pensions, health and safety and pay as you earn (PAYE).

How do I take on my first employee?

When your business is ready to take on its first employee you may need to register with HMRC as an employer. You will also be responsible for insurance, employment contracts, pay rates, pensions, health and safety, PAYE.  

HMRC provides an online tool to help you work out if you need to register:

GOV.UK – Register as an employer (external website)

You can find guidance on what your responsibilities will include as an employer via the resources below:

Pay rates

GOV.UK - National minimum wage (external website) 


GOV.UK - Workplace pensions (external website) 


ACAS - Contracts of employment (external website) 

Health and Safety

ACAS - Health and safety (external website) 

Useful publications

Recruitment and Induction

ACAS - recruitment selection factsheet (external pdf opens in new window) 

A Guide for New Employers

ACAS - guide for new employers (external pdf opens in new window) 

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) - Employment guidance

Information Commissioner's Office - Employment (external website)

What is the national minimum wage?

The National Minimum Wage Act 1998 (as amended), requires all employers to pay workers at least the National Minimum Wage (NMW). You can find up to date information on the GOV.UK website:

GOV.UK - National minimum wage rates (external website)

How do I find out about workplace pensions?

You can find out about workplace pensions on the GOV.uk website:

GOV.UK - Workplace pensions (external website)

Please note: it is your responsibility as an employer to automatically enrol your employee(s) into a workplace pension scheme if they:

  • live in the UK 
  • are over 22 years old 
  • are earning more than £10,000 per year.

The Pensions Regulator - Detailed guidance for employers (pdf opens in new window) 

What help is available to find and recruit apprentices?

There are a number of ways that East Riding of Yorkshire Council can help you.

Visit our section on apprenticeships to learn more about how the council can help. 

Apprentices are aged 16 or over and combine working with studying for a work-based qualification - from GCSEs or equivalent, up to degree level. 

Apprentices can be new or current employees. 

You can read more about apprentices on the apprenticeships website:

Apprenticeships - Employer (external website)