Notification of cooling towers

Do you need to notify the council, when and how to notify the council, how long does it take to process, are there any inspections, can you appeal a decision, how do you renew a notification, who to tell if you have a change in circumstances and who to contact. 

Do I need to notify the council?

All businesses or premises that have wet cooling towers and/or evaporative condensers within the council’s area need to notify us.

Cooling tower notifications are regulated by The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992.

The statute law website provides useful information on the regulations.

Statute law (external website)

A failure to notify, if discovered on inspection, will result in formal enforcement action.

When do I notify the council?

The notification should be made;

  • before the installations are in place or
  • when any cooling tower and/or evaporative condensers becomes redundant and is decommissioned or dismantled

We will however accept retrospective applications for sites previously unregistered.

You can contact the health and safety duty officer if you have any queries.

How do I notify the council of my cooling towers?

You can notify by one of the following means;

You are not required to provide any documents or plans with the notification form nor is there any fee required.

How long does it take to process and grant the notification?

There is no formal approval process, any notification will automatically be placed on the register of cooling towers and evaporative condensers.

We do not notify you that your cooling towers or evaporative condenser has been placed on the register.

There are no conditions attached to the notification.

Are there inspections or assessments?

An inspection maybe carried out at registered premises to ensure that the standards maintained are satisfactory and comply with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Approved Code of Practice (ACOP) and guidance.

The Health and Safety Executive (Approved Code of Practice) website provides guidance on complying with the standards.

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

If I am turned down, how do I appeal?

You cannot be turned down once notification is received it is automatically placed on the register.

How long does the notification last, and what is the renewal procedure?

There is no requirement to periodically renew your notification. However, where a change subsequently occurs, and/or if a wet cooling tower/evaporative condenser becomes redundant and is decommissioned or dismantled, then you should contact us in writing within 1 month of the change occurring.

Who do I tell you about changes of circumstance?

Whenever there is a change affecting the cooling tower/evaporative condenser at the site, for example change of ownership or installation of new units you must notify us.

To do so contact the health and safety duty officer.

Who do I contact?

You can contact the health and safety officer either by:

Email: health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk

Telephone: (01482) 396096

Fax: (01482) 396191 or 

Write to:

Health & Safety and Animal Health Manager Housing and Public Protection East Riding of Yorkshire Council County Hall Beverley HU17 9BA