Pet sales licences

Can you sell pet animals? How to apply and pay for a pet sales licence, who else you may need to contact, how to renew or change your pet sales licence, who regulates pet sales and what happens if you don't apply?

Can I sell pet animals?

If you want to sell animals as pets or sell them with a view to them later been resold as pets in the course of a business you will require a licence. 

If you are unsure if you fall into this category you can email the licensing team:

Email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

How do I apply for a pet shop licence?

If you require further advice on applying for a pet sales licence, we offer a pre-application advice service, and the fee for this service is £50 plus VAT. 

To book in for the pre-application advice service please email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk.


To apply for a pet sales licence you must complete the online application form below 

Please note: the online form will require a payment at the end of the application form, failure to make the payment online will mean the licensing team do not receive your application form to sell animals as pets. 

Apply online for a licence to sell animals as pets

Alternatively you can complete the hard copy form below and submit it to the licensing team with all supporting documents and the appropriate fee.

Any application made without the supporting documents will not be accepted. 

Application for a licence to sell pets (word 209kb)


Animal activities licence fees (pdf 56kb)


Once you have submitted your complete application form and fee and supporting documents, you will be visited by a licensing officer who will inspect your premises. A vet's inspection may also be required depending on the numbers and species types. 

You are required to meet the standards set out in the Animal Welfare ( Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Regulation 2018.

Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Regulations 2018 (pdf 5mb)

Guidance for selling animals as pets (pdf 993kb)

If you would like further advice about the condition requirements you can email the licensing team:

Email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

If your premises meet the required standard, your pet sales licence will be granted and a licence will be forwarded to you within ten weeks of your complete application. 

You must then display the licence on the premises in clear view of the public.

If your premises do not meet the required standard, the officer who completed the inspection will tell you why and arrange to revisit after you have done further work in order to meet the required standard.

A tacit consent does not apply to this application, meaning that your application will not automatically be granted after a specified period of time. Each application must be considered on its own merits. 

How can I pay for a pet shop licence?

You can pay the fee for an animals activities licence by telephone on (01482) 396297.

You may also submit your application form and fee at any customer service centre across the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Who else may I need to contact?

If you are applying for a pet sales licence you may also need to speak to:

How do I renew my pet shop licence?

You will need to renew your pet sales licence before 31 December 2019, or if your licence was granted after January 2019 before your current licence expires. 

You should renew your licence 10 weeks before it is due to expire. 

You can apply to renew your licence to sell animals as pets, using the below online form. 

Please note: the form will require payment to be made online, failure to make payment will mean the form will not be received by the licensing team. 

Apply online to renew a licence to sell animals as pets. 

How can I change my pet sales licence?

Please contact us via email at licensing@eastriding.gov.uk for further advice.

Who regulates pet sales?

The licensing team are responsible for the licensing and compliance of pet sales.

If a business holds a licence it should be on display in a prominent position at the premises. If you have concerns about a premises operating under a licence, have a complaint or would like to report a business that you are concerned are operating without a licence you can contact the licensing team, by either:

Email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

Please ensure you provide as much information as you can to help us.

You will be required to give your name and contact details so that we can ensure that the complaint is genuine.

Your details will be kept confidential and will not be disclosed unless the investigation results in a prosecution at which stage your details would have to be disclosed.

What happens if I do not apply for a pet shop licence?

If you sell pet animals without a licence, you may be prosecuted.