We are only actively involved with the health and safety award scheme for hair and beauty businesses, an annual award scheme operated by the Hair and Beauty Industry Authority (HABIA).
Hairdressing salons and beauticians in the East Riding are able to apply for this award at no cost and subject to demonstrating sound health and safety practices will receive it.
What are the award criteria?
As a hair and beauty business you have to demonstrate good standards and working practices in the following areas:
- safety management including risk assessments, accident reporting and safety policy
- first aid provision
- control of substances hazardous to health assessments and personal protective equipment
- electrical and fire safety
- employers/public liability insurance
- provision and display of health and safety information
- employee training and consultation
- manual handling
- appropriate registrations
- workplace environment with particular relevance to salon hygiene
- staff personal hygiene
- occupational health management.
HABIA health and safety pack
This will take you through a simple step by step process to meet the criteria and is available by contacting HABIA by:
Tel: 0845 2306080 or 0845 6123555
Fax: (01302) 774949
Or alternatively, writing to:
Sky Business Park
Robin Hood Airport
How is the award assessed?
The award is valid for one year and is assessed on the findings of one announced and one unannounced visit.
Can the award be taken away during the award year?
The award can be removed at anytime should the business fail to meet the criteria or in the event of substantiated complaints.
Can I use the award in advertising?
The award can be used in advertising but remains the property of the council and HABIA.
Who to contact if you wish to apply?
For any further information or guidance or if you wish to make an application you can contact the health and safety duty officer by:
or alternatively you can write to:
Private Sector Housing and Safety Manager
Health and Safety Regulatory Services
Housing and Public Protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council