Mental health advice for people of working age

How to get support with mental health difficulties, services that are available, who is eligible and are they free.

How do I get support with mental health difficulties?

If you feel that you may have a mental health issue the first point of contact should be your GP. They will then refer you to the relevant service for your needs.

You can also contact the Humber NHS Foundation Trust Mental Health Response Service which is available for Hull and East Riding residents.

Email: hnf-tr.mentalhealthresponseservice@nhs.net

Tel: (01482) 301701

The council works closely with the local primary care trust and the Humber NHS Foundation Trust who are commissioned to provide a range of specialist services, including:

  • in-patient services for people detained under the Mental Health Act 1983
  • and support in the community.

Humber NHS Foundation Trust (external website) 

The single point of access allows customers to view lots of information on services.

There are many types of mental health problems. Some of the most common are depression, anxiety, eating problems and schizophrenia.

At some point in our lives we all experience stress, grief or worry.  This is natural - although we still may need help to get through it. With the right support many people can get on with their lives as 'normal'.

If you are concerned about your own mental health, or that of someone else, there are lots of places you can get help. Your first contact should be with your local family doctor (GP) and they will help to decide what services you need.

There are many organisations that provide help, support and information, depending on your needs. If your GP thinks that you need further help and care they may refer you to a range of specialist services.

What services are available for people with mental health difficulties?

The council provide mental health services for people of working age jointly with Humber NHS Foundation Trust.

There are a range of services available, which will be tailored to the needs of the individual, with the aim of helping them to live as independently as possible.

The following are some of the services that are provided.

Support for people with severe and complex mental health problems or psychosis

The teams provide treatment and support through a recovery based approach for people who have been diagnosed as having severe and complex mental health problems. The aim of the service is to enable people to live in the community, independently, whilst accessing support as needed.

Support for people with dual diagnosis

The teams provide support for people with a dual diagnosis, such as issues with mental health and drugs and/or alcohol.


The service also provides a Homelink service through a 'supporting people' contract to help people in their own homes by providing housing support. This can be in the form of help with budgeting and other daily living tasks to help maintain a tenancy or ownership.

Improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT)

The IAPT service works with people with low-level depression and anxiety through providing a range of interventions such as cognitive behaviour therapy and other talking therapies. The service also provides guided self-help through computerised packages and telephone support. This service is accessed via the Humber NHS Foundation Trust Mental Health Response Service.

Mental health staff teams

The teams comprise:

  • social workers
  • social care staff
  • community psychiatric nurses
  • occupational therapists
  • creative therapists (such as art and music therapists)
  • consultant psychiatrists
  • psychologists
  • support time recovery workers
  • improving access to psychological therapies staff (IAPT).

Work with other organisations

We work very closely with other organisations, such as:

  • crisis resolution home treatment teams – this service is provided for people who are experiencing severe mental health difficulties who need to be treated with the minimum disruption to their lives. This treatment can be in a range of different settings, such as in the home, and is an alternative to inpatient care
  • care management teams
  • inpatient mental health services
  • MIND
  • and Rethink.

You can find further information and contact details about MIND and Rethink on their websites. Both their front homepages have the contact details on them.

Mind (external website)

Rethink (external website)

Are services free?

Not necessarily. NHS services are free, however a financial assessment may be required if there is a need for a package of support arranged by the council.

Further information about the financial assessment can be found on the paying for services page. 

Who is eligible for these services?

The services provided are normally for those of working age, however if the person is over 65, with a mental health problem which is not age related, then they would be eligible for an assessment.

For people over the age of 65, with age related problems, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s, please see our mental health advice for older people.